Thursday, May 8, 2008

Exposing Myself


This is an experiment for me- I have always been intrigued by art, color, and more specifically pictures, photos, and photography. I got a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Modern Dance- so I consider myself somewhat artistic- perhaps more inspired by art than a creator of inspiring artwork! But none the less- there is something about a well put together piece of work, be it music, painting, collage, sculpture, dance, photography or whatever- that just fills me with such great joy and satisfaction!

With that said, I am now going to explain why I am doing this, creating yet another blog- another place for me to spend (perhaps waste?) more of my limited time. I have ALWAYS for as long as I can remember- dreamed of being a successful photographer- and what I mean by successful is having the ability to consistently capture memorable - properly exposed- moments on film (or now memory card). I have always kind of felt like the ability was somewhere inside me- why wouldn't it be with such a deep desire and love for the art form? I have, though, also always felt very self conscious about putting myself out there. Recently though I decided that it was time to be brave and face this dream head on-attempt to make it a reality. And that was when I discovered the truth- I am not as good as I had hoped I would be!

In recent months I have looked a great deal at some photographers work that I admire, and in reading their thoughts and philosophies on what they do, I have read some words that have struck me and motivated me to move forward in this process. One such photographer who is very inspiring is Lori Vrba-"I suppose all of us want to leave something in this world that is lasting...that says who we were while we were here. I hope I leave something meaningful, revealing, inspiring. I want my children to someday feel proud of how I lived. I want them to see me push through the fear. If I hide the fact that I'm afraid...how will they know? " I am pushing through the fear.

So- now as an attempt to pursue this dream of mine- I am putting it all out there- exposing myself to- myself and anyone else who might happen upon this blog. My goal is to practice regularly- daily if I can, and post my work as often as I can so that I can chart my journey. I am completely open and even desiring comments, critiques, constructive criticism, and so forth on what I share. I am hoping to grow, learn something and if it's not asking too much, develop the skill and talent in photography that I have so long desired!

4 comments:

kate said...

Way to go Kiersten! I think this is a great venture. I have always had an interest for photography myself. Maybe you will inspire me. BTW-you're so cute!

Good luck, I'll keep checking!
=) Kate

Shelly Hyde said...

You go girl.

Annie Jane said...

I am happy for you Kiersten. I understand you completely. It is a great challenge and good for you that you try it!
People like you give others' courage to do their dreams as well! Me, included!

Ashley said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're doing this :)